Fellowship (post-doc) position in ZULF-RD-NMR at CERN
We are looking for an enthusiastic candidate for a post-doc position hosted at CERN, Geneva, to work in an interdisciplinary team of physicists and chemists on the combination of ZULF-NMR with radiation-detected NMR. In this new ZULF-RD-NMR modality, unstable probe nuclei get hyperpolarised in-situ (via PHIP, SABRE, DNP, etc), and the signal detection takes place inside a ZULF-NMR setup via asymmetric emission of beta or gamma decay of the probes. This should add unprecedented sensitivity to the former.
The successful candidate will be responsible for the following tasks, based on interactions with CERN and Mainz team members:
- Select the combination of unstable isotopes, biological ligand, and hyperpolarisation method
- Prepare rf excitation hardware
- Operate compact beta-particle detectors existing within the group
- Optimise data acquisition to see changes in beta-asymmetry in synchronisation with rf excitation
- Be in charge of the 1st experiments with in-situ inside the team’s 4.7-T wide-bore magnet
- Be co-responsible for the 1st ZULF-RD-NMR experiments inside the transportable Mainz ZULF-NMR setup
The candidate should have a degree in physics or chemistry or related fields, should have experience in NMR technique development, especially ZULF-NMR, and should be a hands-on person able to build and (learn to) work with various scientific equipment. What we offer is a rich, stimulating, interdisciplinary and intercultural research environment and very competitive financial conditions. For more details, please contact Dr. Magdalena Kowalska (email@example.com) or Prof. D. Budker (firstname.lastname@example.org).
The application deadline is September 1st via a CERN-centralised system run via SmartRecruiters: https://jobs.smartrecruiters.com/CERN/743999740814430-senior-applied-fellowship-programme?trid=3320305b-0f5f-4245-a3a4-e2e46bc46590. The application should mention the ZULF-RD-NMR project by Dr M. Kowalska. In parallel, please inform Dr. Kowalska and prof Budker of your application.